Create a relationship between high schools, colleges, and the business community in an effort to prepare students for employment and continuous learning after graduation.
Prepare students for post-secondary education and/or to enter the workforce.
Students can be admitted to an academy program through an application process. The Academy packet includes a student application, teacher/counselor recommendation form, and parent/student memorandum of understanding. A school transfer may be required for certain academies. The student transfer must be accepted into an academy before the transfer is requested.
- Agriscience Academy - This is a four-year program of study designed for students pursuing a career in the broad area of agriculture. Admission is by application only and students may apply in the 8th or 9th grade. This program is offered only on the Southern Nash High School campus. Possible skills certifications: Welding Certificate.
- CISCO Networking Academy - This is a four-year program of study designed for students pursuing a career in Network Engineering Technology. Admission is by application only and students may apply in the 8th or 9th grade. The students will enroll in Computer Engineering Technology I and Computer Engineering Technology II at NNHS. The CISCO web-based curriculum is provided by CISCO Systems and is offered in the 11th and 12th grades and only on the campus of NCC via the CCP (Career and College Promise) initiative. Possible skills certifications: A+, Network +, CCNA.
- Fire Training Academy - This is a program that will be offered for the 2013-2014 school year. The Academy's goal is to provide accredited certification to become an NC Firefighter. This program is offered only on the Rocky Mount High School campus. Students will enroll in Public Safety I, Public Safety II, Fire Training I, II, and III. This certification will be aligned with national standards.
- Health Sciences Academy - is a four-year program of study designed for students pursuing a career in healthcare or a healthcare-related career. Students may apply in the 8th or 9th grade. This program is offered at each of the four traditional high schools. Possible skills certifications: CNA.
- Hospitality & Tourism Academy - is a four-year program of study designed for students to pursue a career in hospitality and tourism, the world's largest industry. The academy features course content ranging from proper food handling, culinary arts skills, hotel management, marketing, and business concepts. Admission is by application only and students may apply in the 8th or 9th grade for entrance in the 9th or 10th grade. Possible skills certification: ServSafe.
- Industrial & Advanced Manufacturing (IAM) Academy - This is a program with Nash Community via the Career and College Promise initiative that introduces students to advanced manufacturing areas such as computer-integrated machining, welding, industrial systems, mechatronics, electronics, and computer engineering. The Academy also provides students an opportunity to continue their education with ECU. SNHS can take advantage of the welding component only.
- STEM Academy - This is designed to provide high school students essential and enduring 21st-century skills. Technology Engineering and Design is a STEM (Science, Technology, Engineering, and Math) program that uses the arts, engineering, languages, technologies, and science to understand, communicate, and design. The academy is offered at Rocky Mount High School. Courses include Technology Engineering and Design, Technological Design, and Engineering Design.
- Teacher Education Academy - This is designed to provide educational opportunities for students interested in becoming teachers by giving them an advanced start in college coursework towards completion of a baccalaureate degree. Students may apply in the 10th grade. This program is available at each of the four traditional high schools.
For more information about the CTE Academies, contact the CTE Director: Chad Thompson