There are currently only 30 Diploma programs in North Carolina’s public high schools. Authorized by the International Baccalaureate to offer this prestigious diploma program, NCPS established a program at Rocky Mount Senior High in 2000. The International Baccalaureate (IB) program is a two-year, college preparatory course of study designed to meet the needs of highly motivated students and at the same time, promote global awareness and international understanding. With its rigorous standards of academic excellence associated with IB, it is a compelling option for many high school students who are university bound.
Short History of the International Baccalaureate
The idea of an international baccalaureate grew out of the practical need to prepare students enrolled in international schools for a variety of national examinations required to pursue university study. With the impetus provided by the International Schools Association, the International Baccalaureate Organization (IBO) was established in Geneva in 1965.
The IB North America oversees the program for more than 75,000 IB candidates in the United States, as well as candidates in Canada and the Caribbean.
Advantages of the IB Program
- Challenging, writing intensive program that fosters critical thinking and communicating
- Rigorous and comprehensive education based on a global perspective
- Traditional high school paired with service and extra-curricular activities
- Student Centered Learning/Interdisciplinary Teaching
- Comprehensive liberal arts program examines the relationship between the various academic subjects
- Provides a high standard of teaching as required by the IB Program
- High expectations of students and development of full academic potential in all areas of study
- Encourages students to be involved in the community through service and through business and education partnerships,
- Develops caring and compassionate citizens with a strong commitment to human welfare
- Potential College Credit.
- Credit is assessed and granted upon the successful completion of the IB examination.
- Advanced standing and/or course credit may be accorded based on exam scores
- Credit varies from university to university
- Students have expanded college choices
- Many colleges offer scholarships for IB Diploma holders
We welcome all qualified, interested students throughout the school district. The application process is during spring registration, and we encourage these students to take the opportunity to apply for participation in the IB program. Because of the rigor and expectations for prerequisites, the IB program requires a four-year commitment to RMHS.
For more information about IB and worldwide statistics about subject results, scores, diploma rates, growth and diversity, please visit http://www.ibo.org/.
For more information about our program at RMHS, please visit the Rocky Mount High School website.